Thursday, January 5, 2012

Week 7: DQ1


What is the relationship between emotional intelligence (EI) and leadership? Do you see evidence of the leaders in your organizations displaying EI? Explain.

Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to understand both “one’s own and other’s emotions” (Corona, 2010, p. 24) and use this knowledge to influence one’s choices or behaviors.  This is related to leadership in that leadership also uses “a social exchange” (Corona, 2010, p. 24) and influences others to accomplish a goal.  I believe I witness EI in my organization sometimes.  I have seen both positive and negative motives of this skill.  Sometimes a manager will use this knowledge to take advantage of an employee to get certain results but many times it is useful to understand other’s emotions to help the employee with their tasks as well. In some tasks at my organization, I am influenced to work extra hours without extra pay because my manager knows that I enjoy working with computers.  I tend to do this because I enjoy what I do but it is unfair to take advantage of it.

Reference
Corona, M. (2010). The relationship between emotional intelligence and transformational leadership: A Hispanic American examination. Business Journal of Hispanic Research, 4(1), 22-34.