Thursday, November 10, 2011

University of Phoenix Open Discussion Forums

I'm currently going to University of Phoenix online and there are a group of discussion forums on the website that anyone who goes to the school can reply to.  On these forums, there isn't a spell checker or grammar checker on the website, which is typical, so from time to time there will be mistakes.  I decided to participate in a few of the discussions and found that not everyone in the forums is very friendly.  I'm familiar with how discussion forums are in general and that people troll them looking for an argument, but I was sincerely hoping it wouldn't take place in an educational one.  I was wrong.

Example #1

Student #1 posted the following:

Nov 8, 2011 4:12 PM
The Common Sense Approach
This question is Not Answered.
Should college students be required to show proof of common sense before gaining enrollment into a university?

My response to the initial poster:

Nov 10, 2011 2:10 PM
Re: The Common Sense Approach
This is an amusing question.  I think that because of certain social views of what common sense actually is defined as, based on societal standards and related, that finding common sense in a person may be a bit objective or superficial.

One example that I actually heard on the radio the other day was about how Copernicus had scientifically proven that the Earth was not in the center of the universe.  Although Galileo took credit for it, he was scrutinized for it at that time because the people believed that common sense dictated that everything revolved around the Earth.

That being said, how much can you honestly trust common sense?
[Granted, I thought the answer was comical and yet accurate to a previous time but can still be applied to the present.  I did have some misspellings but corrected them right away.]

Student #2 response to me:

Nov 8, 2011 4:31 PM
Re: The Common Sense Approach
Why don't you use some common sense and take a remedial English class. You are throwing around those ten-dollar words without making sense..."Galileo created credit for it? How about TAKEN credit for it! Just sayin'
My response to Student #2:

Nov 10, 2011 2:13 PM
Re: The Common Sense Approach
You're just jealous because I had a better response than you.  You need a lesson on grammar as well.
I had actually replied in different ways but the forum would not post it.  So I figured that either something was wrong with the system or I was blocked.  However, when I went back to the post, I noticed that some of my posts went through and so I thank UoP for this experience of making me look even further like an idiot.  Luckily there is a delete button and I only left the one above on the forum.  Yeah, pretty immature but still funny.

That was my first experience.  I have been noticing that a lot of students response this way to others.  It's almost shocking that there are that many people in the community that respond this way.